Thursday, July 3, 2014

Flush This!

As many already know, I have a history of bowel problems. I have often been told that I'm full of s#%t. With that in mind, I followed up on a suggestion by my doctor to have a colonoscopy. In fact, it is recommended that anyone over the age of fifty have such a screening. 

First, to back up a little: I come a family that has a long history of mishaps of the bowels. Perhaps that was our ancestors' real name and they changed to the sweet-smelling name Bowers out of embarrassment.  Whenever such an event happened to a family member, it was reported and embellished to a treasured anecdote shared amid much laughter. ( I might add that I was raised with three older brothers who gleefully added each new story to their comic repertoire.). When I shared my Friendship Trail mishap,  I had hoped people would find it amusing as I did - after the fact.  But my "comic" story was used against me. 

But I gotta share this one because it was funny. Please continue reading only if you have a scatological sense of humour or you want to know about colonostomies from aaa veteran. 

The day started off well enough. Until we hit the dog. My BFF was driving me to Welland Hospital for the procedure. Just as passed through the red light at the water tower, a Beagle ran right in front of the car and we heard a thump. I screamed and covered my eyes while BFF watched the dog, seemingly unhurt continue running toward the cemetery. So we spent the next half hour looking for the dog with no luck. We both felt sick over it. Fortunately or unfortunately my stomach (and bowels) were empty due to the purge that had taken place the day before. It is by far the worst part of the whole experience. 

I took two doses of what might call Bowel Drano and spent the greater part of the day and night on the toilet. No food allowed; only clear liquids. Gatorade is recommended. I call it the 
Black Fast, which really refers to a Lenten ritual of an Irish friend who gave up booze from Ash Wednesday to Easter. 

So, I was cleaned out and ready. Finally got to the hospital and went through the sign-in process. After that, a wonderful volunteer led me through the maze of corridors to a small waiting room where others awaiting the same fate were talking about their purge and now lightheaded-ness. We all became "fast" friends, like many who experience a shared trauma. Maybe we became friends because we all knew that the others were going to their anuses probed. Shared embarrassment can be a real ice-breaker. 

Then the wait began ( doctor running late.) Someone came in carrying a big box of donuts from Timmie's as if to torture us. She moved quickly towards the back room as if she was afraid of six or so pairs of hungry eyes that had latched onto the box of donuts. 

Finally, my name is called. I strip down and put on a backless gown (how appropriate) and lie down on a gurney to wait. Nurse has trouble finding a good vein (and no I've never used intravenous drugs; I just have hard-to-find veins.)

So I waited some more with my saline drip and then they took me to the room where the procedure is done. The nurse (?) added the tranquillizer to the mix and I was soon off to la-la land. I woke up back in the recovery room. Missed the whole thing. They could have put a microchip or a drone up my ass and I would never know. Then came the gas. Lots of it. Didn't care; let it loose. Now I have tell my "only in Canada" part of the story: I was almost fully recovered when one of my new waiting room friends was put in the bay next to mine, just back from her colonoscopy.  While the nurse bustled around trying to make her more comfortable, she politely asked,"I have a lot of gas. Is it alright if I pass wind?"  The nurse just said, "let 'em rip, honey."  Only in Canada would someone be that polite. 

So BFF found me a little dazed and we got lost in the maze on the way out. 

Waiting for me in her car was a Triple Triple and chocolate cream donut. What a great friend!

Sure hope that dog is OK. 

9 comments:

  1. What the hell was that all about? You looking for a pitty party. So where does the friendship trail episode come into play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Agnes. Like the ninjas, you're clueless. Didn't heed the warning, now did ya? This is the way I write. There is a serious message here. Have a colonoscopy if you're over 50 or have stomach/bowel problems. Lighten up, Agnes.

      Delete
  2. Breaking News: John Hill has filed to run for re-election in Ward 4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dazed and confusedJuly 4, 2014 at 7:42 PM

    I totally get it about that lady being so polite. There's a precious innocence or consideration for others that seems unique to Canada. Wishing you the best of health!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer..... not about J. Hill...about he description of the intestinal root canal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curious in the BurgJuly 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

    And speaking of this anal. I love.the way that the Molinaro ' s have shoved it up the collective arses of the town folk by selling off Steven' s parking lot to people that will not let it be used as such anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Molinaros have every right to be angry. They were lied to by Rino Mostacci who told them that it would be a piece of cake to get the Bay Beach Properties.

      Delete
  6. Less parking under the trees with Steve... more people driven to use the metered parking lots under this new development. Where does the money from the metered parking go?? Sure sorry to see that spot become unavailable for visitors who were often seen eating food from home on the grass under the big trees. Now they are more likely to have to buy something from the food sellers from across the street?? Whats wrong with this picture???Any land that was used by the public being sold off to interests that make usage restrictive is wrong.. Sound familiar??

    ReplyDelete

This blog no longer publishes Anonymous comments. Just use a nickname and comments will be considered.To use a nickname, please fill in the area of "Name/URL" with your nickname, It is not necessary to fill in the URL portion.

PAST ISSUES